Short bread layered with Nutella and topped with oats, dried fruit and toasted chopped nuts.
Yield: 12 servings
Portion: 1 bar
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups ground oatmeal
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup low-fat granola
1 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, cherries, etc.)
1 cup Nutella® hazelnut spread
Preheat conventional oven to 350°F.
- In mixing bowl equipped with a paddle, cream butter and sugar until light (about 3 minutes).
- Add flour and gently mix into creamed butter-sugar mixture.
- Pat dough into an even layer inside a ¼-size sheet pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In bowl, combine granola and fruit; cover and hold until ready to use as directed.
- Poke dough evenly over entire surface with a fork and place pan into 300°F convection or 350°F conventional oven on middle rack and bake 20 minutes. Rotate pan and continue baking another 10–15 minutes, or until edges turn golden brown and top is golden. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- While still warm, gently spread top surface of baked shortbread with Nutella (spread outwards rather than in a circle) to create an even layer that covers the entire surface of the shortbread. Sprinkle top evenly with reserved granola-fruit mixture and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting into 12 rectangular bars. Serve at room temperature.